hello world

Monday, September 20, 2010

Rene Descartes walks into a restaurant. The waiter asks: Will you be having the paper today, sir?. Rene Descartes replies: I think not. And disappears.

I hope you enjoyed that joke. But seriously i saw that descartes was the only one in the people to know without any papers or materials to study so i looked for some info on him. I used Dr. Burton's suggestions in his blog to use other methods of searching. there are a lot of suggestions the one i focused on today was using the google blog searcher. Here are my simple findings on Rene Descartes:
Descartes was born on March 31, 1596, in La Haye, Touraine, France. His is considered the father of modern philosophy. but he is not just a philosopher, he is also a scientist. his contributions to science are as far reaching as his philosophy.
He came up with the idea of cartesian dualism or that the mind an body are connected and that physical and spiritual things are all governed by a set of scientific rules. (he used this dualism to prove the existence of god, way cool). along that same vein, what he is probably most famous for is this argument for existence: "cogito ergo sum" or "i think therefore i am".
He arrived at this conclusion because he couldn't prove the existence of any physical object. his eliminations led him to only believe in his own existence because if there is not an existence than he hasn't anything to make him ponder it. and he therefor concluded that his very thoughts proved his own existence. I found a blog that used this conclusion to show that dreams also prove our existence even if we are asleep.
Descartes also made great strides in the science and math fields. I will only focus on one of those contributions. Physicists know descartes as the discoverer of the Law of Refraction. He wasn't the only one to discover the relationship between the angle of incidence and the material that the light is being refracted in as is shown in his formula: n1 sin(theta1)=n2 sin(theta2). however he was the first person to publish it. and despite some studies by a greek and an arab scientist long before him, his was the most accurate model for refraction. 
I also found a great list of quotes by descartes. one of which i really liked; enough to share on my blog. He said "an optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?" i love it. it is philosophy that is not above my head. 
so my question is this: where are the Descartes of our day? where are the people who are pioneering in multiple fields at once? leaving ginormous fingerprints all over our textbooks and society? are they still out there? i found Descartes Fascinating and i have only barely touched the surface of researching him.
For a brief summary of Descartes and his Philosophy visit this site.


5 comments:

  1. I really like your question about who are the Descartes today. Although I don't have the answer, your question did make me think about the importance today of being able to contribute in more than one field. I think that the highly technical and digital world that we live in helps us be able to do just that. Thanks for the question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you diversifying your research and linking to those sources. As for your question, I think there are some stand-out amazing people on the planet right now, but we don't have the perspective of time to gauge their significance as we do with those Enlightenment thinkers. Muhammad Yunus is one (micro-enterprise, see Banker to the Poor), just for starters. I suggest that you follow the TED series of talks and you'll get inspired as to how many creative thinkers and doers there are in the world today (see TED.com).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I read this post and realized that we posted essentially the same joke on our blogs independent of one another. I guess I'm not as creative as I wish I was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our society does seem to reward people who specialize in one kind of knowledge. We have very specific jobs that require very specific classes, degrees, etc. Perhaps that's why there aren't as many Decartes-of-all-trades now.

    ReplyDelete