hello world

Monday, June 6, 2011

“I need to buy you a Coke” “Me?’ “Yes you.”

“Buy a stranger a ‘coke’.” I was very excited about this assignment actually. I saw a lot of opportunity here. Upon hearing the assignment I immediately began thinking of all the options. What type of person would I treat to a beverage? Homeless person? Teacher? Businessman? But then I thought with all the pretty girls that walk around campus, this is possibly the best excuse I have ever had to talk to them without any real reason. But I was so busy during the week that I had to put it off until Saturday.
Saturday morning. I was at the library and I spotted a nice looking girl a few tables away. She wasn’t alone though. But I had all day. No worries, I could wait until she was alone (if you think this is slightly creepy, you are not alone. Even writing this I feel pretty creepy). I began rehearsing what I would say in my mind. “Hello ladies, look at me, now look at your man, now BACK to ME.” A moment later I looked up and she was alone. It was game time. My heart was racing. I couldn’t believe I was going to do this. Then she got up, and just as I was about to pounce, she fled to the girl’s bathroom. That’s okay. I can wait. But then when she came out I totally froze and just sat there as she walked out of view. Darn.

Saturday afternoon. I had to work all afternoon, so I had to further postpone buying this stupid coke. I couldn’t wait too long though I had something at 930 and I couldn’t do it on Sunday. There will be someone at night.
Saturday night, 7pm -ish. After working out, I went for a soak in the pool and hot tub at my apartment complex. I was getting somewhat anxious at this point. Who am I going to ask? Then walked in a girl I knew through my roommate, and with her was a girl I did not know. This was my chance. The one could introduce me to the other. I hopped out of the hot tub and into the pool where they were splashing. With my roommate’s help we began talking to the two girls. After brief introductions, I looked at the girl and said, “I need to buy you a coke.” She smiled, a very nice smile I might add, and asked why. “It is an assignment for MCOM. I need to buy you a coke, or a candy bar or something.” “Oooh. I want a candy bar … I took MCOM I didn’t have to do this.” “Yeah, well my MCOM teacher is cooler than yours was.” “Must be.” “Pick you up in half hour?” “Okay.” (Some parts were left out or altered because my hands are getting tired typing this).
            My roommate and the other girl ended up joining us and we decided to go to the creamery to get ice cream instead of coke or candy. We talked and ate. And I was so glad that I waited until that late to take someone for a coke, because this girl impressed me more than any other had in a long time. She knew how to talk. She had interesting interests. She was smart, clever, and ambitious. She was fun and funny. I just loved talking to her. And, boy, she had a smile that could melt anyone’s heart, and she didn’t hide those pearly whites.
            I found out that she will be representing BYU in the fall to visit high schools around the state. When she told me that I couldn’t think of anyone that would be a better fit. I know BYU will be in good hands if she is the type of person that will be representing it.
            Alas, after a “coke” and some conversation, we had to go. I asked for her number because I wanted to ask her for another “coke” sometime.
I have been home from my mission for a year and I have taken a lot of girls out, most of which have been unimpressive. But talking with her gave me a renewed hope that there is more than just lot of pretty girls here at BYU; there are also a few all-around outstanding girls here. Hopefully I can find one for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment