hello world

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dr. Jake Frankenstein: "it's alive!!!"

The Monster of Dr. Jake:

















So i have been reading Mary Shelley's famous work, "Frankenstein". we are all somewhat familiar with the story of Frankenstein wherein after going to university, Dr. Victor Frankenstein wants to bring a creature to life and does so using spare body parts. He successfully gives life to this monster only to realize that he has created, well, a monster. the monster, in a desperate plight to be accepted, wreaks havoc and as the story progresses we see more and more of the monster in Dr. Frankenstein himself. Now you are probably asking yourself what is this strange collage? Well let me connect the dots.
So having read Frankenstein and studied a little about romanticism there was an urge in me to create something in order to reflect the story. However, the creation in this story is a tragic one. so i had to capture the Romantic idea of creating something new, something "radical" but at the same time reflects the dark tragedy of the story. and so i found this great download from online called Shape Collage. i can make a collage in any shape that i want using any pictures i want. after much thought to the story and my "monster" i decided that i would make a collage in the shape of a cereal bowl (yes that is a cereal bowl. that stick thing is the spoon. and it is filled with my favorite sugary cereal). I will use this picture to analyze and review the book.
Dr. Frankenstein had many vices. one very visible vice was perhaps an insatiable need for knowledge which led to the creation of his monster. The first shortcoming of myself that i could think of was pride but i struggled to think of how to represent that visually in a collage. So i went with plan B: another 'vice' in my life is a true addiction to cereal, (it will be the downfall of me someday). but the cereal can really be a metaphor for all of my weaknesses.
In his pursuit of knowledge, Victor thought he had found the elixir of life and therefore created his monster. Just as doctor frankenstein created something i too have created something, and you could say that it is a monster, well it is my monster. maybe i have already gone too far with this analogy in implying that cereal contains the elixir of life?
Eventually, however, we can see all to well the monster reflected in Dr. Frankenstein himself. thusly i have used images of me to construct the shape of the cereal bowl. at first glance the picture simply looks like a roughly thrown together shape. but upon careful scrutiny, one can see that it is me inside that bowl. my intent in such a method was to reflect both the darkness of the story and the darker parts of the romantic period itself.
In the story the monster not only affects the life of Dr. Frankenstein but also many others including his family and town. Justine is a great example of this. she was an orphan who was taken in by the Frankenstein family. She was falsely accused and executed for the murder of Victor's brother which, much to victor's horror, was actually committed by the monster). Much to my dismay, my cereal eating has also gotten beyond my reach and caught my friends and family in it's tangled web. if you look closely a lot of the pictures have my friends in them and family. This is a representation of my monster affecting the lives of those around me.
Hopefully my cereal eating will not lead to the death of my fiance or my eventual death, as frankenstein's monster did.
This post was written mostly tongue-in-cheek but it does reflect my feelings toward this tragic story and the romantic movement of the 18th century.

I couldn't think of a great way to connect and share this picture and analysis with the world, so please help me by suggesting ideas. one way i did 'connect' the findings of my reading in this book with the digital world however is i posted the picture on my facebook. i then tagged all the friends who were in the pictures and wrote a caption inviting them to read this blog post. i anticipate this will strike up a lot of conversation among my friends and me.

1 comment:

  1. brilliance! I am amazed with your interpretation and further analysis towards yourself thereof. i feel a sudden urge for fruity pebbles.

    ReplyDelete