hello world

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflective blog post number 2

I am excited at the opportunity to once again reflect upon my experience thus far in this class. Since the last reflective blog post I feel I have really hit my stride as a student of digital literacy. Obviously I have not totally mastered all of the tools necessary but I feel like my learning algorithm has been properly adjusted so that I can get the most out of this class for the remaining few weeks. I will now report on how well I have met the three learning outcomes (namely, historical content, computing concepts and digital culture, and self-directed learning) in the duration at hand.
Historical content: This is probably the point I will be most enthusiastic about. Usually I am not a huge fan of history classes. History just has never really grabbed my attention. I don’t like the structure of traditional history classes. But this class has really opened my understanding of the importance and applicability of history. It has been the most effective methods of studying history for me because I am able to research things that I feel are important and then make connections to other historical content but also to modern concepts and issues. For me it has been very refreshing taking charge of the history that I learn. I feel that because I am personally responsible to learn the historical content that I care more about it and the connections I make help me to understand it’s importance even more. I feel that I see history as more than just dates and dead events now, and more as current and alive. A good example of this is my blog post The Theory of relativity and Modernism. In this post I learned in more depth about Einstein’s theory of relativity and then connected it into its historical context and then connected it again to us now. This way of learning history is really empowering for me. Another example of this would be my blog post Thoughts on Evolution. I connected evolution to our church’s doctrine and what that means to me today. I love learning history this way.
Computing concepts and digital literacy: This one goes without saying. My knowledge and ability to comprehend and use digital literacy and tools has increased exponentially. Dr. Zappala has really done an amazing job of explaining each computing concept. Every class period I learn things about the computer and its inner workings that I never knew. But the best part is I get to really take control of this aspect too. I have enjoyed learning the computing concepts but then also their history for example the turing machine and modern incalculable logics. This short blog post called Kurt godel: a logical thinker is a good example of my findings. Furthermore, I have really done a better job at making my digital literacy labs applicable to my overall education. For example, prior to this class I didn’t even know what google docs was, let alone how applicable and useful it is to a busy student. I have begun using Google docs in all of my classes, especially in group projects. Just the other day, for example, we did a business strategy competition and we all edited our presentation over google docs. Say goodbye to my reliance on my thumb drive! All of my digital literacy labs have been very worthwhile.
         Self-directed learning: This one is really easy seeing as I have already stated much of this in the above two paragraphs. I have found great freedom in being able to explore aspects of history and culture that I really care about. I am an econ major and so several of my research topics have related to economics even though it was not the main topic of discussion. I have two posts about the economics of China and how it relates to the industrial revolution. Or another time economics was the topic at hand. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I had a great time researching the importance and background of Keynesian Economics and then how it works (or doesn’t) in our economic situation right now. I reported my findings in my blog. But the other aspect of this self-directed learning that has been enjoyable for me is the freedom to explore things that are completely unrelated to my field of study. For example I really have always wanted to know more about Freudian Psychology and so when that was the topic I really felt like I gained a lot from my personal research. I learned so much about the Id, Ego, and Super ego from studying on my own. I may not have been able to get that knowledge if I were in a traditional history class where that topic was just not on the menu. I really do feel like I am in control of my education in this class. Which can be scary at times because I can be a shaky driver.
         To this point I can say that although I had a rocky beginning, this class has been very beneficial to me. I look forward to continuing my self-directed learning and also consuming, creating, and connecting. So as we say frequently when class is ending, “see you on the web…”

No comments:

Post a Comment