hello world

Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Media, Printing press, and the internet



After reading the assigned readings on media theory i thought i wanted to compare the printing press and the TV and their effects on society and culture. but my research took me elsewhere. after a little research online i found a sweet online conversation about the printing press verses the internet. The conversation reminded me much of our own class. i thought this would be an excellent opportunity to connect but then the conversation was closed without any way of adding to the conversation. but these people seem like they would be good to connect into our class. so if you figure out how to connect them in let me know!

Then my research took me to a blog post entitled "The Gutenberg Bible, the Printing Press, and Paper vs. Digital Devices". the author had recently been given a new ipad and she found it "magical". here is how she describes it: "This year for Mother’s Day, my husband gave me an iPad to replace the Kindle 2 he gave me two years ago. The Kindle failed to captivate this book-loving, latent Luddite, who undervalues the luxury of technology when it comes to the tactile experience of reading—a whiff of paper and ink as well as the liberty to count how many pages to the end of a chapter.
But now I can agree with Steve Jobs who said that the iPad is “magical.” Lightweight, portable and readable, slipping the iPad into my purse seems, well, reasonable if not fashionable."
But she is also an avid reader of the bible and she is now grappling with the idea of having an electronic version of the bible; a thought that is almost as revolutionary as a printed one. "Previously censorious of churches that referenced pew Bibles, I prided myself that I had no need of a page number to locate chapter and verse. Harumph. Ever heard of Sword Drills?
Of late though, I realized that using a pew Bible at church never precluded reading a personal Bible at home. Nor does using an electronic version of the Bible displace bound versions of the all-time bestselling book."
By the end she had come to a very cool conclusion. that the method of sharing the message of the bible is secondary to the message itself and that the method of spreading the words simply help to propagate the word of God. and so the electronic versions, and the Gutenburg version are the same in the sense that they make it easier for more people to get the bible. "That’s when it hit me. The Bible—the point is not the print. Or the device that delivers the words. Or even the preachers who declare its message. The words of life have been given and preserved by God. The real challenge remains not transmission but reception."
Well Said.

No comments:

Post a Comment